Monday, August 18, 2014

Alzheimer's Blog Train

Alzheimer's is a debilitating disease. It is one that has affected me personally. My grandma was my most favorite person in the entire Universe! 
I used to have sleepovers at her house often, she would tell me all sorts of wonderful stories. She was smart and classy. She was friendly and talked to everyone she could. She made me feel important and loved. 
When I turned thirteen or so, maybe a little older, some things started to seem off. Her driving got kind of scary, okay, really frightening. She was forgetting things that were so simple. She was having trouble with word-finding. It progressively got worse. Eventually she received a diagnosis of Alzheimer's and Dementia. She was taken out of her home and lived with my aunt and uncle for a while, and then eventually we as a family, decided to bring her into our home. This picture was taken during that time. It was one of the hardest times of my life. Watching my grandma who was so sharp, and so sweet, turn into someone who screamed at us, who couldn't remember much, who thought my brother was her husband who had passed away many years before. It was horribly difficult. 

When I saw that there was an Alzheimer's Awareness Blog Train, I HAD to do it! I wanted the family of those dealing with it to know there there is peace. There may not be any kind of cure. There may not be much  help, but there is peace. I remember one day, and please forgive me for getting personal, and a bit religious, but I remember praying with my grandma and it was like her mind was completely clear one night. I knew that deep down inside, she was in there. It was actually the reassurance that I needed.  I knew that she would be okay. I pray that you find the peace you are searching for. 

Here is my portion of the blog train. (Click the preview for the download link)
If you like it, I am working on a full kit, that will be available for purchase in a couple months. I am LOVING how it is coming together! I hope you will look for it then. 

Here is the rest of the blog train:
Dea’s Design
Angel Wing Scraps
Marniejo’s House Of Scraps
Rhonda B. Studio
Dreamn 4 Ever Designs
KJD Designs
Shuckclod’s Stuff
Ann’s Scrapbook Heaven
Melissa’s Scrap Designs
Timber Scraps


Happy Scrapping! 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for your contribution. This disease is so scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs...I'm glad that you can remember the good, because it was SO good! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kit, remember dearly the good times with your Grandmother. I watched my Father slowly deteriorating with Dementia and was thankful that God had taken him before it got so bad that he didn't know us. At least we know they are at peace now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing - both your talent and your story...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for participating & sharing your personal story. Your kit is lovely & I'll look for the release of your full kit . I especially love the word art. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete